|January 19, 2018 - The City expects the release of the cannabis screening applications to take place mid-February. The City will be hosting a public meeting around the time of the release of the screening applications to answer questions about the application process. Please continue to visit this webpage for the latest information and the location of the public meeting.|
Green Light for Cannabis Businesses in the City of West Hollywood
The City of West Hollywood has been at the forefront of the national discussion about decriminalizing the use of cannabis and the City has a long track record of supporting cannabis use for medicinal purposes and, more recently, in supporting adult-use cannabis.
To respond to the passage, in 2016, of California Prop. 64, The Adult Use of Marijuana Act, the City of West Hollywood engaged leading experts from California and Colorado and convened discussions throughout 2017 to inform the creation of public policy regarding cannabis businesses.
In November 2017, the City of West Hollywood approved an Ordinance to approve amendments to the municipal code and zoning ordinance to regulate cannabis land uses.
The City’s Ordinance makes the City of West Hollywood one of the only cities in the region authorizing business licenses for consumption areas, where cannabis can be purchased and consumed on-site.
Adult-Use Retail Cannabis Begins in West Hollywood
The City of West Hollywood’s four existing Medical-Use Dispensaries have been authorized to allow Adult-Use retail sales at their current locations on a temporary basis beginning on Tuesday, January 2, 2018:
- Alternative Herbal Health Services (AHHS) / 7828 Santa Monica Boulevard
- The Los Angeles Patients & Caregivers Group (LAPCG) / 7213 Santa Monica Boulevard
- MedMen WeHo / 8208 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood
- Zen Healing / 8464 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood
FAQs: Cannabis in the City of West Hollywood
Cannabis Use and Business Licenses
The Ordinance allows the cannabis use business licenses listed below. The initial cannabis business screening application process will begin in February 2018. Inquiries regarding the application process may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The top eight applicants in each category will be chosen by an Evaluation Committee to move forward in the Business License application process. If chosen, the applicants will then require approval of a Zone Clearance followed by approval of a business license by the City’s Business License Commission. Cannabis licenses may be applied for in the following categories:
- Eight (8) Adult-Use Retail Business Licenses;
- Eight (8) Consumption Area (smoking, vaping, ingestion) with On-site Adult-Use Retail (sales of products to be consumed on-site) Business Licenses;
- Eight (8) Consumption Area (edible ingestion only) with On-Site Adult-Use Retail (sales of products to be consumed on-site) Business Licenses;
- Eight (8) Medical-Use Dispensary Business Licenses; and
- Eight (8) business licenses for cannabis delivery services located in West Hollywood and no limit on the amount of business licenses issued for cannabis delivery services that are located outside the City limits and deliver cannabis to customers within the City of West Hollywood.
From 2009 to 2017, the City of West Hollywood had four (4) medical cannabis establishments in operation. Under the City’s adopted ordinance, these four dispensaries may choose to continue to operate Medical-Use Dispensaries at their current location subject to approval of a state license. If all four choose to continue operations, then an additional four (4) Medical-Use Dispensary Business Licenses will be available beginning in 2018.
For additional information regarding cannabis in the City of West Hollywood, please email email@example.com or call West Hollywood City Hall at (323) 848-6375.
For additional information about operating a business in West Hollywood, contact the Business Development Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 323-848-6429.