Sign up for quarterly updates from the Community Development Department!
The Building & Safety Division provides and is responsible for the enforcement of the building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical codes, and certain municipal codes as adopted by the City Council. The Division is also responsible for enforcement of the California State accessibility regulations and energy conservation regulations. The Division reviews and processes permit applications, plan check applications, calculations, geo-technical reports, and other related documents, and performs inspections of all construction projects. These services are provided directly to the community using a variety of methods including a public counter, web-site, phones, mail, e-mail, and extensive field site visits.
- The Building and Safety public counter, located on the second floor of City Hall at 8300 Santa Monica Boulevard, is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (please arrive no later than 3:30 PM) Monday through Friday excluding City Holidays.
- Afternoon hours are limited to issuing permits, submitting and/or retrieving plan check applications, reviewing permit files and related public documents, and requests for copies of public documents.
- Inspection staff is available from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM daily.
- Plan check staff is available from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM (please arrive no later than 11:30 AM) and by appointment only after 12:00PM.
Our Building and Safety Manager is Steve Bailey.
- Building and Safety Permits
As a courtesy to our constituents, all Building & Safety permit applications are available online. Please note that all permits must be formally submitted in person to Building & Safety. For other inquiries please visit our "Frequently Asked Questions" or contact us at 323-848-6320.
- Plan Submittals and Handout Guides
Following are guides to assist you with submittals. Depending on your project, other City and County agencies may require review and approval. For more information not found in our Frequently asked Questions, please contact us at 323-848-6320.
- Construction Hours Calendar [PDF]
- Contractor's License Board
If you are considering hiring a contractor to remodel, repair or upgrade your home and landscape, the following link can help you to select a contractor who is licensed and in good standing which may avoid home improvement problems.
- Solar West Hollywood
To further promote the use of renewable energy, the City of West Hollywood has adopted a streamlined process to expedite the approval and installation of small residential rooftop solar systems. Community Development has provided the following information as a guide to our constituents. For any questions regarding Solar West Hollywood, please contact us at (323) 848-6320.
- WeHo Seismic Retrofit Program
Information regarding West Hollywood's upcoming Seismic Retrofit Program can be found here.
- Green Building Program
West Hollywood adopted one of the nation's first mandatory green building programs and it became effective on October 1, 2007. The program ensures that new buildings will be healthier for residents, and use energy and resources more efficiently.
- Frequently Asked Questions