In 2014, the City of West Hollywood celebrated Pride month through the artistic contributions of our community with the One City One Pride Arts Festival. For 2014, the One City One Pride Arts Festival will ran from Harvey Milk Day (May 22) through the end of June.
2014's festival theme: 'I Do':
On June 26, 2013, the Supreme Court rendered decisions allowing for marriage equality in California and striking down the Defense of Marriage Act of 1996 as unconstitutional. In celebration of the one year anniversary of this monumental day, and of the hundreds of same-sex marriages that were performed in the City of West Hollywood in the days following this historic decision, the theme for the 2014 West Hollywood LGBTQ Arts Festival is ‘I Do.’ 'I Do' represents an affirmation, a promise, a commitment, and a celebration of love.
This handy GIS map helped people navigate the festival.
Click on the following links to find pictures from the following One City One Pride Events:
- One City One Pride Kickoff: May 22, 2014 - The 2014 One City One Pride kick-off of One City One Pride began on Harvey Milk Day! It featured an exhibit with a selection of 22 prints from David McCoy's 56,000 photo collection. Photo album is here.
- ONE Night: May 31, 2014 - This event was an evening of performance and large-scale digital projections onto an inflatable balloon hovering over the West Hollywood Park and exterior walls of the West Hollywood Library, in conjunction with the exhibition "EZTV: Video Transfer" at the ONE Gallery. Photo album is here.
- LA Pride Festival: June 6-8, 2014 - The 2014 LA PRIDE Celebration, held in beautiful West Hollywood Park, is the largest gathering of the TLGB community in Southern California. Photo album from the City of West Hollywood booth is here.
- The Ovaaness Archives: June 21, 2014 - This event was an interactive exhibit tour of the "Ovaaness Archives" which took guests on a behind the scenes virtual tour of the House/ Ballroom scene. Photo album is here.
- A Midsummer's Afternoon Queer Wedding Reception: June 21, 2014- APT 3F and PLANET QUEER presented a fun, interactive, queer take on wedding receptions for One City One Pride’s Make Music Los Angeles Day. The reception was fairy-themed and inspired by Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Photo album is here.
- Behold the Bridegrooms: June 21, 2014 - Performance artist Jason Jenn brought to life some of award-winning filmmaker and poet James Broughton’s most love-infused and inspired poetry alongside a group of several local performing artists who will created a colorful staged reading and reinterpretation of Broughton’s luminous 1978 marriage to partner Joel Singer. Photo album is here.
- INTERFACE: The Marriage Project: Friday and Saturday, June 27 and 28, 2014, 8 pm - This program will featured a new work titled "I Do" that featured members of the LGBTQ community performing with MXD dancers in two shows that correlated with Marriage Equality Day, the day the Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal in California again. Photo album is here.
To see high-resolution photos of One City One Pride events including the kickoff reception and outdoor digital art event, ONE Night, please visit the City’s Flickr account at www.flickr.com/weho.
Of course the biggest event happening during Pride is the LA Pride Parade and Festival produced by our community partner Christopher Street West on June 7 and 8. (along with several free to the community events in the days just prior). For details, tickets and the entertainment line-up, visit www.lapride.org.
For street closure information over LA Pride weekend, click here.
Artist and volunteer opportunities... check out our current opportunities here.
Visit www.gogaywesthollywood.com for info on hotels, nightlife and more!
|Follow us at ARTbeat West Hollywood to stay in the know.
|Sign up for our bi-weekly Arts Briefs newsletter.|