Commuting is a way of life in Los Angeles. Each day, bicyclists and motorists share the roads with hundreds of buses, trains, and pedestrians. The Los Angeles County Fire Department wants you to stay safe during your commute, so whether you ride a bicycle or drive a car, follow these simple tips to keep you safe while navigating the open road.
Safety Tips for Bicyclists
Bicycles must follow the same traffic rules as motorized vehicles. When riding your bike in traffic, here are a few safety tips to remember:
- Always obey traffic signs and signals, and follow roadway markings.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Use hand signals before turning, stopping, or changing lanes.
- Ride in a straight line; do not weave in between parked cars.
- Always wear a helmet. Wearing a helmet is the law for children and adolescents under the age of 18 in the State of California.
- Be alert while riding; watch for opening doors from parked cars.
- Riding while wearing headphones in both ears is prohibited by law.
- Always yield to pedestrians.