What if it happens to you?
Call 9-1-1 immediately!
Crimes of Hate are flagged as a top priority at the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station, so please report all hate crimes and hate incidents.
- Learn neighborhood danger zones and avoid them: dark parking lots, alleys, walk ways along tall shrubs, walls and fences.
- Move away from unsafe situations.
- Run! Scream! Call 9-1-1 ! if you feel threatened.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Know Before You Go: if you go home with someone you don’t know, first introduce them to friends, bartenders or others you know.
- Exchange names and phone numbers.
- Remember drinking and partying affects your judgment: Play Safe!
Know Your Rights:
California Civil Code Section 51.7 states “All persons within the jurisdiction of this State have the right to be free from any violence, or intimidation by threat of violence, committed against their persons or property because of their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or position in a labor dispute.”
Anyone who violates the right provided by Section 51.7 is liable for each and every offense for the actual damages suffered by any person determined by a court of law. Damages shall be paid by the offender to the victim as follows:
- Up to a maximum of three times the amount of actual damages;
- A civil penalty of ten thousand dollars ($10,000); and
- Attorney’s fee as may be determined by the court.
For more information:
Victims of Hate Crimes: Call 9-1-1 immediately!
City of West Hollywood Public Safety Department: (323) 848-6414 TTY (323) 848-6469
West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station: (310) 855-8850
Non-Emergency Reporting Phone Numbers:
West Hollywood Sheriff: (310) 855-8850
LAPD Hollywood: (213) 485-4302
LA Gay & Lesbian Center: (800) 373-2227
CA Victim Assistance: (916) 324-9128