Tips to Avoid Vehicle Burglary:
- Wherever you park, take ALL of your belongings with you.
- Underground and multi-level parking structures are target areas for criminals looking in cars for electronics, backpacks, money, spare car keys, purses, cellphones, packages and sporting goods.
- Always lock your car.
- Call 911 to report a theft in progress.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Close all windows, including vent or wing windows.
- Avoid parking in alleys.
- Make a copy of your registration and black out the address. Keep the original at home in a safe place.
- Do not leave outgoing or incoming mail in your car where it is visible with your name and home address.
- When entering gated, underground parking areas, check your rearview mirror to make sure that someone doesn’t sneak in behind you.
- Report suspicious persons to the Sheriff’s Department and report all crimes.
If you must leave valuables in your car, lock them in your trunk or keep them out of sight. Be aware that someone may be watching as you put a wallet, purse, or cell phone under your seat, in your glove compartment, or in the trunk.
If you park in your driveway or on the street, install motion sensors or photocell lights near where you park. Motion sensors will trigger a light to come on when it senses activity in the immediate area. Photocell lights will turn on at dusk, and then off at dawn automatically.
If making more than one trip to put items in your car while at the mall, consider moving your vehicle to make it look like you’ve left.For more information:
City of West Hollywood Public Safety Department: (323) 848-6414 TTY (323) 848-6496
West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station: (310) 855-8850