Welcome to West Hollywood! Our City is home to innovative industries and a magnet for highly skilled professionals. Companies ranging from retail, tourism and nightlife, restaurants, entertainment and media, as well as arts and design are drawn to West Hollywood’s creative workforce as well as its high quality of life.
Whether you want to open a business, expand an existing business, you are considering a development project or you are a broker representing properties in our City, our staff is available to assist you and your company through its business planning process.
For more information, please email CreativeCity@weho.org or call 323-848-6429 to speak directly with the Business Development Analyst, Tara Worden.
Starting a business is challenging, but we are here to help you make your business dream a reality. To get you started on the right foot, the Business Development Division has created a series of step by step guides to open three of the most common businesses in West Hollywood.
To learn more, click on each image below.
Start here to get all the information you need to start a new business or grow your existing business.
Are you looking to open or expand a business in West Hollywood? We’ve got great news – it just got easier. The City recently approved a comprehensive update to our commercial parking requirements. Key provisions of the update are summarized below:
- Change in Use: The update allows a change of use to occur (i.e. change from retail to restaurant) within an existing building or tenant space that is less than 6,000 SF to without requiring additional parking. What does that mean for you? If the building or tenant space you’re intending to lease meets the requirements above (less than 6,000 SF and existing prior to December 19, 2018) then the parking that is currently on site, is all the parking that is required for your business. Of course, if you’d like to secure additional parking you may do so through an off-site lease agreement, valet service or through City parking credits, if applicable.
- Baseline Parking Requirements: The minimum baseline parking requirement for nearly all commercial uses has been significantly reduced. The minimum baseline requirements apply to new construction and a change of use in a building or tenant space greater than 6,000 SF and/or a building or tenant space constructed after December 19, 2018. Click here to view the minimum parking requirement for all business types.
- Existing Businesses: Existing businesses, including those that lease off-site parking or satisfy their parking obligation through the City’s parking credits program, may apply to have their parking obligation reduced to the new minimum baseline parking standard. Additionally, businesses that have underutilized on-site parking may also apply for a reduction in their parking obligation, which would free up the business to lease the surplus spaces to employees or neighboring businesses. If you are an existing business and interested in reducing your parking requirement, please contact the Business Development Division and we’ll walk you through the steps.
Attention West Hollywood businesses. The City of West Hollywood follows the State of California minimum wage schedule. The current minimum wage in West Hollywood (January 1, 2019) is as follows:
- For employers with 25 employees or less: $11.00/hour
- For employers with 26 employees of more: $12.00/hour
The minimum wage in West Hollywood as of January 1, 2020 is as follows:
- For employers with 25 employees or less: $12.00/hour
- For employers with 26 employees of more: $13.00/hour
For more information, visit the State of California Department of Industrial Relations website.