COVID-19 Recovery Measures to Support Businesses as they Safely Reopen
Through the Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permit, the City offers streamlined approval for eligible businesses to use sidewalks, on-street parking spaces, and private parking lots as areas to expand outdoor dining operations without requiring amendments to existing minor conditional use permits or administrative permits. Fees related to an encroachment permit are temporarily waived; however, liability insurance is required. Parking requirements are also temporarily waived while the permit is active.
The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) has released a series of Regulatory Relief measures. The Fourth Notice of Regulatory Relief allows restaurants to expand their footprints to outdoor dining through a Temporary Permit. The Fifth Notice of Regulatory Relief allows bars to partner with businesses to sell 'bona fide' meals in conjuction with to-go containers of alcoholic beverages. This permit requires approval from the local jurisdiction prior to ABC application and a $100 fee.
How to Expand Your Restaurant or Bar Outdoors
Businesses interested in participating in the temporary program must submit the following:
- Submit a complete Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permit Application to Planning@weho.org
- Step-by-step guide to create your own site plan using Sketchup
- Submit an Encroachment Permit for Outdoor Dining (will be provided if expanding into public right-of-way)
- Liability insurance requirements for expanding into public right-of-way
- Following local approval, businesses interested in serving alcohol in the temporary outdoor expanded area must submit an application to ABC for the COVID-9 Temporary Catering Authorization (ABC-218 CV19 Permit).
Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permits are approved on a case-by-case basis and require certain standards to be met as outlined in Exhibit A, Temporary Outdoor Expansion Design and Operational Standards. The outdoor areas can be on private property, including parking lots, or in suitable locations on sidewalks and plazas, or on-street parking spaces. Exhibit B provides several design scenarios that businesses may use as a model for their application.
Staff is to assist local businesses with application documents and the review process. Review and approval of these applications is a staff priority. Please contact Tara Worden, Business Development Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need direct assistance prior to submitting your application.