What We Do
The Economic Development Department works with artists, businesses and innovators in WeHo, coaching them through their relationship with the City, showing them opportunities, steering them away from pitfalls, and removing barriers to success.
The Department also partners with local economic development organizations - Visit West Hollywood, the West Hollywood Design District, the Sunset Strip Advisory Board and the West Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, collectively promoting West Hollywood as a destination for tourists, residents, and businesses.
How We Do It
The department is comprised of four divisions: Arts Division; Business Development Services Division; Event and Film Services Division; and Innovation Division.
- Grant opportunities for nonprofit arts organizations and artists.
- Encourage private investment in the arts through the Urban Art Program as well as a Commercial Mural Program
- Call for Artists opportunities so that artists can showcase their work to visitors and residents.
- Implement exhibits and programs in collaboration with the West Hollywood Library.
- Site selection assistance and support in navigating the permitting process for pop-up and permanent spaces
- Connecting businesses to regional economic development organizations and resources
- Economic research
- Guide City businesses through a streamlined Special Event Permitting process
- Coordinate Film Permits for production companies desiring West Hollywood locations
- Provide logistics support and permitting assistance for large-scale, high profile events taking place in the City
- Support community events and programs
- Promote greater citizen engagement through the use of civic technology and innovation.
- Increase governmental transparency by supporting Open Data initiatives and similar programs.
- Seek reductions in service delivery times and operating costs through the use of innovative technologies.