Sign up for quarterly updates from the Planning Development Services Department!
The Building & Safety Division provides and is responsible for the enforcement of the building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical codes, and certain municipal codes as adopted by the City Council. The Division is also responsible for enforcement of the California State accessibility regulations and energy conservation regulations. The Division reviews and processes permit applications, plan check applications, calculations, geo-technical reports, and other related documents, and performs inspections of all construction projects. These services are provided directly to the community using a variety of methods including a public counter, web-site, phones, mail, e-mail, and extensive field site visits.
- The Building and Safety public counter, located on the second floor of City Hall at 8300 Santa Monica Boulevard, is open from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Fridays, excluding City Holidays. To best assist you, we ask that you please arrive 30 minutes before closing.
- Inspection staff is available from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM daily.
- Plan check staff is available from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Fridays, excluding City Holidays. In order to allow adequate time for project reviews, submittals and permit issuance, we ask that you please arrive no later than 1 hour before closing.
Our Building Official is Ben Galan.
- Daily Building Inspection Schedule
- Building and Safety Permits
As a courtesy to our constituents, all Building & Safety permit applications are available online. Please note that all permits must be formally submitted in person to Building & Safety.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
Plan Check Expirations – Per CBC, Section 106.4.1, when no permit is issued within one year following the date of the application thereof, the application shall automatically expire.
Permit Expirations – Per CBC, Section 106.5.4, every permit issued by the Building Official under the provisions of the Code shall expire by limitation and become void, if the building or work authorized by such permit is not commenced within 180 days from the date of such permit, or the building or work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days, or the permittee fails to obtain inspection as required by the provisions of Section 108 of this Code for a period of 180 days.
For other inquiries please visit our "Frequently Asked Questions" or contact us at 323-848-6320.
- Plan Submittals and Handout Guides
Following are guides to assist you with submittals. Depending on your project, other City and County agencies may require review and approval. For more information not found in our Frequently asked Questions, please contact us at 323-848-6320.
- Construction Hours Calendar [PDF]
- Contractor's License Board
If you are considering hiring a contractor to remodel, repair or upgrade your home and landscape, the following link can help you to select a contractor who is licensed and in good standing which may avoid home improvement problems.
- Solar West Hollywood
To further promote the use of renewable energy, the City of West Hollywood has adopted a streamlined process to expedite the approval and installation of small residential rooftop solar systems. Planning & Development Services has provided the following information as a guide to our constituents. For any questions regarding Solar West Hollywood, please contact us at (323) 848-6320.
- WeHo Seismic Retrofit Program
Information regarding West Hollywood's upcoming Seismic Retrofit Program can be found here.
- Green Building Program
West Hollywood adopted one of the nation's first mandatory green building programs and it became effective on October 1, 2007. The program ensures that new buildings will be healthier for residents, and use energy and resources more efficiently.
- New Los Angeles County Fire Department Fees
This new 2016 Code cycle, the Los Angeles County Fire Department has updated their schedule of fees. These fees are assessed and paid to the County. Additional information can be obtained from the attached flyer.
- Frequently Asked Questions