*COVID 19 UPDATE: In response to the COVID 19 crisis, deadlines for the Seismic Retrofit Ordinance have been extended. All deadlines for the Seismic Retrofit Ordinance will be given additional time in order to meet compliance requirements as determined by the West Hollywood City Council on April 6, 2020. The additional time given will be equal to the amount of time of the duration of the local emergency plus one month. This will apply to all deadline milestones for the Seismic Retrofit Program.
WeHo Seismic Retrofit Program
On April 17, 2017, the City Council formally adopted an Ordinance establishing a framework for the seismic retrofit of two types of existing buildings. The ordinance establishes the following provisions:
- Mandatory Strengthening Provisions for Existing Wood-Frame Buildings with Soft, Weak, or Open-Front Walls.
- Voluntary Strengthening Provisions for Cripple Walls and Sill Plate Anchorage in Existing Wood-Frame Buildings.
The ordinance for these two types of buildings will become effective on April 1, 2018. The final Ordinance can be found below:
In addition, provisions for existing Non-Ductile Concrete and Pre-Northridge Steel Moment Frame Buildings were formally adopted on August 7, 2017. This Ordinance can be found at the following link:
The Ordinance for Non-Ductile Concrete and Pre-Northridge Steel Moment Frame Buildings has an effective date of August 7, 2018.
A significant earthquake will not only affect life safety, but also loss of shelter and significant economic loss. The City of West Hollywood has taken a proactive approach by addressing the seismic deficiencies in our existing building stock. These Ordinances create minimum design standards and requirements intended to increase life safety and reduce the risk of collapse of existing potentially vulnerable building types during a significant seismic event.
- Visual Survey of Properties Subject to the Seismic Retrofit Ordinances
- Previous staff reports and attachments presented to City Council and the proposed ordinance
- Rent Stabilization
Wood-Frame Buildings with Soft, Weak or Open Front Walls (SWOF)
Non-Ductile Concrete and Pre-Northridge Steel Moment Frame Buildings (NDC/PNSMF)
- NDC/PNSMF RoadMap to Compliance
- NDC/PNSMF Screening Report
- NDC/PNSMF Seismic Design Guidelines
- NDC/PNSMF Appendix A - Material Testing Condition Assesment
- NDC/PNSMF Appendix B - Geotechnical and Geological Requirements
- NDC/PNSMF Appendix C - ASCE 41 Modifications
- NDC/PNSMF Appendix D - Peer Review
- NDC/PNSMF Appendix E - Quality Assurance Process Guidelines
On May 18, 2015, the City Council directed staff to address the structural seismic safety issues of the City’s existing building stock and develop a framework for a seismic retrofit program. After issuing a request for proposals for a consulting firm to assist the City with a Seismic Retrofit Program, Degenkolb Engineers, a top structural engineering company specializing in seismic strengthening solutions, was selected to conduct a survey of the City’s entire existing building stock and assist with the development of a seismic retrofit plan and ordinance.
No event scheduled at this time.
- Strengthening of Soft/Weak Story Buildings
- Strengthening of Non-Ductile Concrete and Older Steel Moment Frame Buildings
- Earthquake Brace + Bolt - Launched in 2014 by the California Earthquake Authority and California Governor's Office of Emergency Services, EBB is helping homeowners strengthen older homes. Homes within City of West Hollywood are eligible to participate in this program. For additional information and eligibility requirements click here.
- Tenant Habitability Plan
Additional information will be posted to this website and social media as it becomes available.
To stay updated with the latest information regarding West Hollywood’s Seismic Retrofit Program sign up for West Hollywood’s Seismic Retrofit Program Email List!
For additional information about the Seismic Retrofit Program, please contact SeismicProgram@weho.org or (323) 848-6848. For people who are deaf or hearing impaired, please call TTY (323) 848-6496