Sign up for quarterly updates from the Planning & Development Services Department!
The Current and Historic Preservation Planning Division prepares and administers the City's General Plan, all zoning and subdivision ordinances, and reviews and makes recommendations on land use development applications in order to guide the future growth and development of the City as determined by the City Council. The Division also provides public information regarding planning issues; manages inter-jurisdictional review; promotes historic preservation; and performs environmental review pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act. The Division also staffs the Planning Commission and Historic Preservation Commission. Jennifer Alkire is the Current and Historic Preservation (Acting) Planning Manager.
PLEASE NOTE: The Planning Counter is open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday (please arrive no later than 5:00 p.m.) and is open on Friday's from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (please arrive no later than 4:00 p.m.)
There are many questions that can be handled over the phone.
Please call the Planning Help Desk: (323) 848-6475.
- Environmental Documents
- General Plan Update
- Green Building Program
- Historic Preservation
- Permit Applications and Forms
- Sunset Specific Plan (Amended 01/25/19)
- West Hollywood West Overlay District & Design Guidelines
- Norma Triangle Design Guidelines
- Norma Triangle Neighborhood Overlay District
- West Hollywood Zoning Map
- Zoning Ordinance
Frequently Asked Questions
Click below for brief answers to frequently asked questions. If you have further questions, please contact the Current and Historic Preservation (CHPP) Division at (323) 848-6475.
- How do I obtain information about my property's zoning?
- What type of application do I need for my project?
If you need help determining what type of permit application is required for your proposed project, call (323) 848-6475 and ask to speak to the Planner On Duty (P.O.D.) or visit the Planning Division Counter at City Hall.
- What are the Planning Counter business hours?
Planning Counter business hours are Monday to Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (please arrive no later than 5:00 p.m.) and Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (please arrive no later than 4:00 p.m.). Planners are also available by appointment. This time is reserved for application submittals, in-depth review of projects, and for extensive research.
- If I have concern, comments or complaints about a project, whom should I contact?
If comments or concerns regard an official planning application with the City of West Hollywood, please contact the Planning and Development Services Department at (323) 848-6475 and you will be directed to the project planner. For general Residential or Commercial Code Compliance call (323) 848-6375.
- Where is the Current and Historic Preservation Planning Division located?
- How do I start a general retail business?
- How do I start a restaurant business?
- How do I start a personal service business?
- How do I start a office business?
- How do I start a health fitness business?
The CHPP Division is located at City Hall, 8300 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069. We are located on the second floor of City Hall.