Business Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Regulatory licenses are required when an individual or entity wants to operate the following types of business (note - businesses listed represent only the most commonly requested types):

  • Public Eating Places and Food Establishments  
  • Massage Technicians
  • Peddlers and Solicitors
  • Valet Parking (this includes lot management)
  • Promoters - Dance and Entertainment   
  • Dance & Entertainment   
  • Secondhand Dealers and Pawnbrokers
  • Extended Hours Businesses
  • Sidewalk Vendors

For a complete list of business types that require regulatory business licenses, please click here.   

The application/processing fee for most regulatory business licenses is $300.


The following license types are available on a temporary or short term basis good for three (3) days or less and in conjunction with a single event:  

  • Peddlers and Solicitors
  • Promoters - Dance and Entertainment
  • Valet Parking (valid for up to 7 days)

The application-processing fee for temporary and short term business licenses is $105.00.

All regulatory business licenses are staff administered with the exception of Gun Dealers*. Applicants for this type of license require a hearing before the Business License Commission.


All applications for regulatory business licenses require some type of agency approval. Some of these agencies, Fire Prevention, Environmental Health, and Building & Safety, may require an on-site inspection prior to signing off on the application. It is up to applicant to schedule the appointment. Planning and Code Compliance approvals are usually obtained at the 2nd floor public counter in City Hall located at 8300 Santa Monica Boulevard.

Public counter hours as follows:

  • Building & Safety: 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and by appointment only after 12:00PM
  • Planning: 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and by appointment only after 12:00PM
  • Finance (Cashier) : 8:00 AM. - 4:00 PM
  • Business License Officer: 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and by appointment only after 12:00PM

Some license will also require specific land use permits prior to obtaining regulatory license. All land use is under the purview of Planning.

Anyone who does business within City of West Hollywood is required to hold a Business Tax Certificate, including those who operate regulatory type businesses.  A current, valid tax certificate must be obtained prior to submitting a business license application.

Some regulatory licenses also require fingerprinting and background check prior to issuance. Those types include; Managers, Promoters, Massage Technicians, Entertainment & Dance Operators, Pawnbrokers & Secondhand Dealers, and Extended Hours Operations**

**any business that has opening/closing between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.


The Business License Officer (323) 848-6375 should be contacted with questions related to licensing and in general it is best to do so because there are more exceptions than standards when it comes to regulatory licenses.


Click on the links below for links to required documentation and for more information about each license type: