Attention all homeowners, landlords, property managers, and tenants:
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is the leading cause of accidental deaths in the United States. CO is an odorless gas produced whenever any fuel is burned and can enter a home from sources as seemingly innocent as a gas stove, furnace, or woodstove, usually due to leakage, backdrafting, or poor venting.
A new California law, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010, requires the installation of a carbon monoxide alarm (or a CO alarm combined with a smoke detector) that emits an alarm and has been approved for use by the Office of the State Fire Marshall.
CO detectors must be installed in all dwelling units that contain a fossil fuel burning heater, appliance, or fireplace; or that have an attached garage.
The schedule for installation of the CO detectors is as follows:
- July 1, 2011: all single-family homes
- January 1, 2013: all other dwelling units (such as multi-family residences)
You can find a list of approved CO detectors here.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, you can contact the Code Compliance Division at 323-848-6375 or visit the website for the Office of the State Fire Marshall.