The City of West Hollywood is currently responding to the unprecedented Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and is working as quickly as possible to address community needs with links to resources, information, and relief for our residents, businesses, and community members.


Click the graphic below for information related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). The page will be updated as new information, resources, and relief from Federal, State and County agencies are made available.

Artboard 13@2x-100


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Sewer Maintenance
Staff can be contacted at any time if you need to report a sewer mainline blockage, sewage overflow, or any other need for sewer maintenance. Call West Hollywood City Hall at (323) 848-6375 or after hours call the Los Angeles County Sewer Maintenance Dispatcher at 1-800-675-HELP(4357). Sewer maintenance crews are available to respond to your sewer service problems 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What is a Private Sewer Lateral?
Every home and business has a pipe that drains wastewater to the City owned sewer mainline. That pipe is called a private lateral. The City owned sewer mainline connects to regional sewer lines which transport sewage to the Hyperion Wastewater Treatment Plant, located in Playa Del Rey. sewer

Property Owner’s Responsibility
Private property owners are responsible for properly operating and maintaining their private laterals, including the point of connection to the City owned sewer mainline. The proper maintenance of a private sewer lateral is important because the line can clog with roots and grease, and may cause a backup inside a home or business. A spill can also result in public and/or environmental health concerns.

How a Property Owner Can Maintain a Functional Sewer Lateral
1. Have your sewer lateral video inspected and cleaned routinely as necessary
2. Repair or replace deteriorated or damaged lateral pipes as soon as possible
3. Do not plant trees or large shrubs near sewer lateral pipes.
4. Never pour paint or building materials down a drain.

Is Your Sewer Stopped Up?
If you have a sewer back up and your plumber suspects the problem is not in your building or private sewer lateral, you can call West Hollywood City Hall at (323) 848-6375 or after hours call the Los Angeles County Sewer Maintenance Dispatcher at 1-800-675-HELP(4357). Sewer maintenance crews are available to respond to your sewer service problems 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Why can’t the City repair my property’s sewer lateral under the street?
City maintenance crews clean the sewer mainlines to ensure proper flow. Access to sewer laterals are from cleanouts located on private property. Private property owners maintain and clean their own sewer laterals.

There are tree roots in my line, apparently from a city parkway tree. My plumber says the line must be broken, and he wants a lot of money to fix it. What should I do?
First, find out if the line is actually broken. This can be done using a TV camera designed to fit in the sewer pipe. Your plumber may be able to do this. If it is not broken (small cracks are common) and the line is clear, a regular treatment of root killer will mitigate root intrusion. If the line is broken, obtain several price quotations for its repair as prices vary greatly.

What is "Root Killer"?
Root killer is a generic term for a line of products that soften and destroy tree roots on contact. They are available at hardware stores. Used as directed, they alleviate most root problems, and should be a part of a regular sewer maintenance program. Their use for cleaning pipes will not harm the tree.

Can my plumber work on my sewer line?
If the work is to be done entirely on your private property, yes. A plumber with a C-36 Contractors license can do the work. An Encroachment Permit from the City would be necessary to work within public right of way (e.g. under the sidewalk, in the parkway or the street). An Engineering Class A, Sewer Contractor Class C-42, or Pipeline Class C-34 license and a $1,000,000 Insurance policy naming the City as an additional insured are required to do work within public right of way. To obtain an Encroachment Permit, contact the City’s Public Works Inspector at (323) 848-6375.

What kind of pipe can I use to repair my sewer line?
If there are no root problems, vitrified clay pipe (VCP, AKA red clay pipe) is recommended. Some plumbers may recommend cast iron pipe (CIP) as an alternative to VCP. Unless the CIP has a special cement mortar lining, it may rust as a result of chemical and bacterial attack. Schedule (Sch) 40 PVC or Sch 40 ABS can be used as well.

What type of Permit is required?
The City's Building & Safety Division issues Permits for work on your private property. Encroachment Permits, for work within public right of way, are issued by the City’s Public Works Inspector, who may contacted at (323) 848-6375.

Remember, Garbage Disposals are Not Trash Cans
Putting things down the drains that don't belong there could cause the sewer lines to back up for the whole building. Cooking oils and grease should never be put down your disposal. Once they cool, the fats harden and deposit in the pipes downstream in the building, which can lead to blockages. Never put coffee grounds in the garbage disposal because they do not dissolve for a long time, can build up in the pipes, and eventually fill a pipe or even your disposal. Very fibrous fruits or vegetables should also be kept out of the garbage disposal and put into the trash bin. Do not put large amounts of pasta down the garbage disposal at one time, which can also clog the pipes of a building. Even egg shells and citrus fruits are best thrown in the trash rather than down your disposal.

flushKnow What 2 Flush

Human waste and toilet paper should be the only thing going down the toilet. Unfortunately, over the years, people have turned the toilet into a trash can. Things to not put down your toilet include cotton products like cotton balls, q-tips, and feminine hygiene products, dental floss, thick paper towels, condoms, and medication. Even cat litter should not be put down the toilet because like the coffee grounds it does not dissolve for a long time and can actually cause a backup in the pipes. Similarly baby wipes and disposable cleaning cloths that are commonly sold in the cleaning aisles of stores should not be flushed down the toilet because they do not dissolve quickly enough and can get caught in the sewer pipes in the building.

Sewer System Management Plan
The City of West Hollywood’s Sewer System Management Plan (SSMP) contains information on City programs and plans for operation and maintenance of the City owned wastewater collection system.  Each element of the SSMP describes how the City’s programs and plans comply with the various provisions of the Statewide General Waste Discharge Requirements (WDRs) for Sanitary Sewer Systems.  The City’s SSMP document is subject to change as needed to comply with required regulations.

  • The City’s current Sewer System Management Plan (SSMP) can be viewed by clicking here.
  • The 2013 Bi-Annual Audit covering the City’s implementation of the SSMP for years 2011 and 2012 can be viewed by clicking here.