Annual Rent Registration Fees - Online Payment

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Annual Rent Registration Fees

Make Your Payments Online!

The City of West Hollywood accepts online payments for the Annual Rent Registration Fees.  You are able to access the online portal at and enter the required account information.  Click here to obtain step-by-step instructions on how to access your account in the new online rent registration fee payment program. 

  • The ONLY accepted payment methods:  Visa, MasterCard or AMEX
  • No partial payments will be accepted.
  • All fees must be paid by July 1st.

If you need to update your account, please call (323) 848-6450 or email 

Frequently Asked Questions

Making Payments

1.  Where do I find my account number and PIN?

2.  Will the online payment program allow me to pay with an electronic check?

3.  Is it possible to make partial payments through the online payment program?

4.  Now that the City allows online payments, can I still mail my payment?


Calculating the Annual Fee

5.  How is my annual fee calculated?

6.  I just bought my property, why does my account have a balance?

7.  One of my units is owner or relative occupied; can the unit be exempt from the registration fee?


Tenant Pass-Through and Raising Rents

8.   How much of the rent registration fee can I pass-through to the tenants?

9.   When can landlords raise the pass-through fee from $5 to $6?

10.  Does raising the rent registration pass-through fee affect the landlord's right to raise the rent?



30-Day Notice to Increase the Registration Fee-Pass Through 





Answer 1

The account number and PIN are located on the top portion of the annual rent registration fee bill.


Answer 2

No.  Unfortunately, at this time the online payment program will ONLY accept these type of payment methods:  Visa, MasterCard or AMEX


Answer 3

No.  Partial payments are not accepted through the online portal.  If you wish to discuss a payment plan, please call (323)848-6450 and ask to speak to a Rent Stabilization Information Coordinator.


Answer 4

Yes.  You are still able to send your payments to US Bank via the enclosed envelope in the annual registration fee bill you received.  You may also pay in person at City Hall, 8300 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA  90069. 


Answer 5

As of July 1, 2017, the fee will be $144 per unit.  Units that are occupied by Section 8 tenants are charged $60 per unit only if the Special Section 8 re-registration form was accepted by the City.


Answer 6

Unpaid balances from past billing periods means that the previous property owner(s) did not pay the outstanding fees.  The new property owner(s) is now responsible for paying any outstanding balances.  Please call (323)848-6450 if you are interested in applying for a waiver of the penalty fees.


Answer 7

If there is a unit on the property that is being occupied by the owner or the owner's relative (parent, grandparent, brother, sister or child by blood or adoption), you must submit an exemption application by July 1st to be exempt from the registration fee.  Click here if you would like to print out an exemption application form.


Answer 8

$72 may be passed-through to the tenant pro-rated so that tenants could be asked to pay a $6 rent surcharge every month.  For units that are part of the Section 8 program, there is no fee increase.  Landlords will continue to pay $60 per unit with no tenant pass-through allowed.


Answer 9

Landlords can raise the pass-through from $5 to $6 as of July 2017, the month the registration fee increases to $144.  Because California law requires a 30-day written notice for any change in the terms of tenancy, landlords must give tenants a 30-day notice in order to increase the $5 to $6.  Some landlords may find it more convenient to wait for the tenant's next rent increase to initiate the change because tenants cannot be charged retroactively for the pass-through.  However, the additional $1 per month is forfeited until the tenant receives a notice to pay it.  Click here to print out a copy of the 30-day notice form.


Answer 10

No.  The Rent Stabilization Ordinance does not consider the pass-through to be rent even though it is paid monthly with the rent.  It is a rent surcharge.  Raising does not change the amount landlords can raise the rent, or the month when the rent increase can be taken.  For example, a month-to-month tenant received a general adjustment rent increase effective August 1, 2016.  The landlord can raise the tenant's pass-through fee effective July 1, 2017, with a 30-day notice.  The landlord can take the next general adjustment as of August 1, 2017, twelve months after the last one was given, with another 30-day notice.