|Check here for of a list of available rentals in West Hollywood. Rentals listed are from private property owners. This list is provided free to access, and free to post.|
Know the Rules Before you Rent!
West Hollywood administers rent stabilization and tenant protections through the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO) and Rent Regulations.
The RSO requires landlords to register new tenancies within 30 days after the tenancy begins for buildings built on or before July 1, 1979 (West Hollywood Municipal Code §17.28.040). Now this process can be quickly and easily completed through our Online Landlord Service portal.
Tenant Protections Apply to all Rentals
The West Hollywood RSO (Rent Stabilization Ordinance) provides tenant protections regardless of when the building was built.
|Tenants in West Hollywood can only be evicted for certain reasons, such as not paying rent, or causing a nuisance. (WHMC 17.52)|
|Landlords are required to pay relocation fees to tenants displaced through a no-fault eviction.|
|Landlords are prohibited from engaging in harassment of a tenant in a manner that would cause a reasonable tenant to vacate their dwelling unit,|
|Title 17 of the West Hollywood Municipal Code (Rent Stabilization Ordinance) holds West Hollywood's rent laws and tenant protections, including application of the law, obligations for property owners, limits on rent increases, limits on eviction, tenant protection from harassment, and requirements for temporary and permanent relocation.|
The Rent Regulations implement the Rent Stabilization Ordinance.
Buildings Built Before July 2, 1979: Rent Stabilization Program Rent Increase Limits, Maintenance Requirements
Buildings receiving a certificate of occupancy before July 1, 1979 are subject to the full RSO including:
||Following the first 12 months after a tenant moves in, the property owner may increase rent but only to the limit allowed by the Annual General Adjustment (AGA).|
||Property owners must maintain the same housing services that existed when a tenant moved in. If those services are reduced, a tenant may request a decrease in rent.|
Property owners must provide maintenance:
New Online Landlord Service Portal - Re-Register Tenancies Online, Pay the Annual Rent Registration Fee & More!
Additional Information and Links
- RSO Building Blocks- A Rent Stabilization & Housing Educational Series. Click here for a list of seminar topics and additional information.
- Energy Conservation Information [PDF] - Discover ways to save money and energy on your gas and electric bill with Southern California Gas and Southern California Edison.
- Go Solar West Hollywood - Go Solar West Hollywood is a city-sponsored program to encourage property owners to go solar. West Hollywood has partnered with EnergySage, an online marketplace, to help property owners receive and compare quotes!
- Additional Solar Resources - Learn about the basics of solar technology, solar financial incentives, the City’s solar guides for condos and apartment buildings, virtual net metering, and much more.
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Financing
PACE is a simple and effective way to finance energy efficiency, renewable energy, water conservation, and seismic upgrades to buildings.
The Rent Stabilization Public Counter is open:
Monday to Thursday: 8:00am to 6:00pm
Friday: 8:00am to 5:00pm
8300 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069
Rent Stabilization Hotline: (323) 848-6450 | Email: Contact this Division
- Foreclosure Assistance for California Homeowners [PDF] - If you are a CA homeowner struggling with foreclosure, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance to avoid foreclosure or obtain assistance transitioning into new housing due to a short-sale, deed-in-lieu of foreclosure.