Starting January 1, 2020 AB 1482, the “California Tenant Protection Act,” took effect. This new legislation provides statewide tenant protections including limits on rent increases, protections from evictions without cause, and relocation fees for no-fault evictions.
AB 1482 does not effect units subject to the RSO. AB 1482 however does affect those units not subject to the RSO’s annual rent increase limits or other rent caps. These are typically apartments built after July 1, 1979 and a few other types of dwellings. units may now be limited to the rent increases established by AB 1482. Remember ALL rental units in West Hollywood are subject to the Just-Cause Eviction, Tenant Harassment, and Relocation fees for No-Fault Eviction protections.
The information provided in this guide does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available in this guide are for general informational purposes only.
Full text of AB 1482: Click Here
Link to CPI-U: Click Here
- ACCE (Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment)
- Tenant Hotline: (888) 428-7615
- Housing Rights Center
- (800) 477-5977
- Their mission is to actively support and promote fair housing through education, advocacy and litigation, to the end that all persons have the opportunity to secure the housing they desire and can afford without discrimination.
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services
- (323) 549-5841
- 3250 Wilshire Blvd., 13th Flr., Los Angeles, CA 90010
- Legal Aid including representation in evictions court. Call for an appointment first. Free Services
- Coalition for Economic Survival (CES)
- (213) 252-4411
- Plummer Park – 7377 Santa Monica Blvd., West
Hollywood, CA 90046 Wednesday 7 p.m. and Saturday
- They see people on a walk-in basis and give advice regarding landlord-tenant issues. They do not represent in court. Free services
- Eviction Defense Network
- (213) 385-8112
- Guaranteed representation for LA County tenants facing eviction as long as they come in a week before the trial. Fee on a sliding scale but no one is turned away for lack of funds.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Lawyer Referral and Info Service
- (213) 243-1525
- This referral service is a nonprofit public service that allows members of the public to find a qualified attorney and get general information about common legal issues. There is no cost to access information through the LRIS and there is no fee to get a referral to an attorney.
Small Claims Court
- Small Claims Court Advisors - LA County Department of Consumer & Business Affairs
- (213) 974-9759
- They will provide advice and guidance about the procedures for filing Small Claims cases in court.
- Santa Monica Courthouse
- (310) 255-1963
- www.lasuperiorcourt.org/locations (search for Santa Monica Court)
- 1725 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401
- This court has jurisdiction over all West Hollywood small claim and unlawful detainer (UD) cases. Due to court budget cutbacks and reorganization, please call first to confirm jurisdiction and location.