The City of West Hollywood is currently responding to the unprecedented Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and is working as quickly as possible to address community needs with links to resources, information, and relief for our residents, businesses, and community members.


Click the graphic below for information related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). The page will be updated as new information, resources, and relief from Federal, State and County agencies are made available.

Artboard 13@2x-100

What is the Maximum Allowable Rent?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Rent Stabilization Department administers the Maximum Allowable Rent (MAR) for rent-stabilized units in the City of West Hollywood. Each unit has its own specific Maximum Allowable Rent. The MAR sets limits on how much a landlord may charge for rent and when the rent may be raised each year. RSHD may also adjust the MAR for individual rental units to reflect increases or decreases based on hearing decisions, increases or decreases at vacancy, and increases or decreases based on the addition or removal of housing services. The calculation of the MAR for a unit varies depending on when the tenancy began.

There are three types of MARs depending on when the current tenant moved into a rent-stabilized unit:

Read the section of the three listed above that applies to the time period when the current tenant moved into the unit in question.

If you want to confirm the current Maximum Allowable Rent for a rent-stabilized unit, or the amount of the registration fee pass-through, contact an Information Counselor at the City's Rent Stabilization Department. The counselor cannot answer any questions about the MAR for a unit unless you have the following information available:

  • Tenant's move-in date;
  • Amount of rent the tenant is currently paying;
  • Date and amount of the tenant's last rent increase.

If a tenant is being charged rent above the MAR, you should talk to an Information Coordinator about the process for correcting the overcharge or for filing a rent overcharge complaint.