Many businesses have partnered with the arts to help build their brand, demonstrate community support, and draw business to themselves. The presence of artists, whether fine art or local arts and crafts, enhance the quality of life for residents and art a major draw for cultural tourists. Click here to download our 'Arts and Business Partnerships' info sheet.
Did you know?
Arts consumers spend money! In 2011, the City of West Hollywood's Economic Development Department participated in a national study, Arts & Economic Prosperity IV, conducted by Americans for the Arts, the nation's leading nonprofit organization for advancing the arts in America, to find that the average West Hollywood non-profit arts consumer spends an additional $26.05 outside of admission/ticket price, most of this at local businesses such as restaurants, retail stores, and hotels.
The creative economy is an economic powerhouse in California! According to the 2018 Otis Report on the Creative Economy the creative economy supports 1 in 7 jobs and produces over $407 billion dollars in creative economy output! Click here to download a copy of the full report.
The Movement - 8 Reasons to Partner with the Arts! Americans from the Arts provides 8 reasons why to create an Arts + Business Partnership that include: Building Your Brand, Inspiring Creativity in and Bringing Happiness to Your Workforce, and Getting your Message Across in a Creative Way.
How can your business align with local artists and organizations?
Attract Arts Consumers
West Hollywood draws many people who come to enjoy the arts (visual, music, performance), many of whom spend money before and after attending an arts event. Check out our City of West Hollywood arts calendar for a list of arts events near you.Engage with local arts consumers using very simple methods such as:
- Partner with a local arts organization/venue (such as a theatre or music venue) to offer a special deal (discounted drink or meal) to a customer who is attending an event at the partnering venue. Consider using the arts program and/or ticket stub as a way for the customer to obtain the special deal offered by the business. Could your business partner with an arts organization/venue to offer dinner with the ticket purchase?
- Partner with a local arts organization/venue to allow reciprocal advertising of each business in your respective locations. Hang posters for upcoming events, display postcards, and/or provide coupons.
- Sponsor a local theatre production in exchange for advertising space in their playbill or program.
Connect on Social Media
The City of West Hollywood's Arts Division share's posts from local artists, arts organization, and businesses who are doing an Arts + Business Partnership project, to expand awareness of arts related activity at all businesses in the City.
- Cross promote your Arts + Business Partnerships on the business and arts organization/venue social media pages.
- Tag @WeHoArts for all Arts + Business Partnership projects you are working on so that we can share the good work you are doing!
- Consider hosting a contest on social media encouraging customers to use a specific hashtag. Offer tickets to an arts experience and/or special deal at your business for the winner.
Host a Temporary Mural
Murals can draw attention to or serve as a landmark for your business, provide an opportunity for an artist, and serve as a way of beautifying the public realm. The City of West Hollywood has a painless and quick review process for businesses interested in hosting a mural on their building. It is important to note that murals cannot advertise or illustrate what is happening inside of the business. Interested to know more about the process? Visit our Commercial Business Mural page for more information and see some of the existing murals approved through the program.
Got Wall Space? Host an Art Exhibit or Live Music
Hosting an indoor art exhibit or live musican is a great way to beautify your space and demonstrate your support of the art community.
- Consider negotiating a small commission for any works that sell while on exhibition in your business. Host a reception for the artist to extend the impact of the exhibition beyond your regular patrons.
- Want to host an exhibition but don't know how to get in touch with the art community? Contact Arts Division staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will be happy to assist you in connecting to our artist community!
- Visit a local non-profit art organization such as Los Angeles Art Association to find artwork to display on your walls. www.laaa.org
- Participate in Make Music LA
Support the Arts through Sponsorships
Artists need patrons. Be a modern day Medici, Ahmanson, or Taper, and help support the arts through fiscal and promotional sponsorship. Many businesses have used a partnership with the arts to build their brand.