Brickstone Studios (Alexis Slafer and Sherman Sylvan), Dodge House Wall, 2009
Kings Road Park, 1000 N Kings Road
About the artwork: A monument for what is believed to be one of the most significant houses of the 20th century, The Dodge House, designed by architect Irving Gill, built in 1916 and demolished in 1970. The building, originally stood in West Hollywood, and made a “profound break from the traditional pitched roof, symmetrical house design. Gill had the radical notion to elevate reinforced concrete to the “architectural importance of stone,” but perhaps more important thatn the house’s form – a horizontal box lacking roof overhangs, surface details or other ornaments – was a revolutionary vision of what modern Southern California house could, and would, be.” (Head, Jeffrey. 2011, July 16. Dodge House in West Hollywood: All that’s left is the architect’s genius and a cautionary tale. Los Angeles Times. www.latimes.com)
Follow us on social media @wehoarts and/or use the hashtag #wehoarts
For questions, contact Rebecca Ehemann, Public Art Coordinator at (323) 848-6846 or email@example.com. For people who are deaf or hard of hearing, please call, TTY: (323) 848-6496. To learn more information about the City of West Hollywood and its arts programs visit www.weho.org/arts.