Walking is one of the easiest and most rewarding forms of exercise. All you need is a good pair of shoes, comfortable clothing and desire.
- Start out slow and easy. Just walk out the door. Walk for ten minutes, and walk back. Add five minutes to your walks next week. Keep adding five minutes until you are walking as long as desired.
- Watch your posture. Walk tall. Hold your head up and eyes forward. Your shoulders should be down, back and relaxed. Tighten your abdominal muscles and buttocks and fall into a natural stride.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after walking. Re-hydration is very important. Bring a water bottle with you. Don't chug it all down at once. Swallow just a mouthful of water as needed.
- Incorporate a warm up, cool down and stretches into your routine. Start your walk at a slow warm up pace. End your walk with the slower cool down pace and stretch well after your walk. Stretching will assist in injury prevention.
- Make a habit. The toughest thing about starting a fitness program is developing a habit. Walking daily will help.
- Walk with a friend for motivation and safety.
For more information about walking go to www.thewalkingsite.com.