The City of West Hollywood organizes several visual art programs directly:
- Art on The Outside is the City's temporary art program that installs rotating temporary artworks on the City's medians and parks. These works include sculpture, murals and other outdoor works, most of which remain on display for between 6 months-3 years. This program is funded through the City's Public Art and Beautification Fund.
- Library Exhibitions - The City organizes and host rotating exhibits in the West Hollywood Library. Occasionally the City host other exhibits in City owned spaces such as City Hall or Plummer Park.
- Urban Art Program is the City's permanent public art program that was initiated in 1987. The Urban Art Policy requires developers of certain projects to contribute one percent of the project cost to public art. Developers can choose to place an on-site artwork or contribute the one percent amount to the City's Public Art and Beautification Fund. To see a map of Urban Art works and locations, and plan your own walking tour click here.
We are building a database of space where artists can perform or show artwork. Join the effort by registering your space!! http://bit.ly/altartspace
Opportunities for Artists
- Open Calls for Artists - The City has occasional open calls for artists, and our local partners such as LAAA also host open calls. For more information it is recommended you sign up for our WeHo Arts Briefs and regularly check the 'Opportunities' section.
- Are you an artist who lives in West Hollywood? Sign up for our Artist Registry to be alerted to upcoming artist calls.
- Pop-Up Gallery Guide - The City has created a cheat sheet for artists interested in creating a pop-up art gallery in the City.
- Temporary Art Proposals - The City has an open call for Temporary Art proposals which are reviewed twice a year.
Galleries and Local Non Profit Visual Art Organizations
- West Hollywood has had a thriving arts scene dating back to when the Ferus Gallery dominated the post-war art period, and Barney's Beanery was the choice hang out for artists. For a full list of galleries take a look at our Cultural Spaces in the City page.