Rental Assistance Programs for West Hollywood Residents
EFFECTIVE MARCH 16, 2020
TEMPORARY MORATORIUM ON EVICTIONS FOR NONPAYMENT OF RENT RESULTING FROM A FINANCIAL IMPACT DUE TO COVID 19
Eviction Moratorium Urgency Ordinance Follow this link to view the eviction moratorium urgency ordinance.
For questions about rental housing or tenant or eviction protections, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (323) 848-6450. Rent Stabilization and Housing staff are available and providing counseling and referrals Monday - Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM
- Date of the declaration of local emergency: March 16, 2020
- Duration of the local emergency: 60 days, unless extended by council
- The moratorium on evictions is only during this period of local emergency
NOTE: THIS MORATORIUM ONLY APPLIES TO EVICTIONS FOR NON-PAYMENT OF RENT DUE TO
FINANCIAL IMPACT/HARDSHIP RELATED TO COVID-19 DURING THE LOCAL EMERGENCY
- Notify landlords in writing within 30 days of the rental due date of inability to pay rent
- State the ways in which they have been financially impacted, this can include:
- Caring for myself or family member who is sick with COVID-19
- Lay-off, loss of hours, or other income reduction resulting from business closure or other
economic or employer impacts of COVID-19
- Compliance with a recommendation from a government health authority to stay home, selfquarantine,
or avoid congregating with others during the state of emergency
- Extraordinary out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Child care needs arising from school closuires related to COVID-19
- Provide documentation, which can include:
- COVID-19 Positive result documentation
- Letter, email, texts related to lay-off, loss of hours or other income reduction
- Health authority communication about recommendation to stay home, self-quarantine, etc.
- Medical bills
- Receipts/invoices of child-care costs
The ordinance does not relieve the tenant from eventually paying the rent within six months after the
expiration of the local emergency. The landlord may not charge a late fee on the rent. The ordinance is
intended to be narrow and no other legal remedies are affected by this ordinance.
Tenant Notice to Landlord of COVID-19 Income Loss/Hardship Tenants may use this template letter to notify their landlord and provide documentation of a financial impact due to the Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19 Pandemic).
The California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) has ordered energy, water, sewer, and communications companies under its jurisdiction to halt customer disconnections due to non-payment.