The Public Safety Department provides oversight of law enforcement and coordinates community programs to reduce crime and increase public safety and the quality of life for citizens, businesses, and visitors to West Hollywood.
In Case of Emergency, Dial 9-1-1
Financial Loss Due to Recent Fraud Activity:
Captain Ramirez and the Detective Bureau team at the West Hollywood Sheriff’s station have provided information to share regarding fraud cases reported by our residents.
In all of the cases we reported on, those West Hollywood residents could have avoided suffering a financial loss by following a couple steps:
- Are you being asked by someone on the phone to pay someone through unusual means? Companies usually do not ask for payment via gift cards.
- Are you being asked by someone on the phone to pay for something by wire transfer? Have you searched online for the company’s phone number and called them yourself to confirm payment information?
- Have you been told by someone on the phone you’ve won an award, but you have to pay the taxes for it before you can receive your winnings? (This is a scam that’s been around for a long time.) Search for the rewarding agency’s telephone number and call them to verify your winnings.
- Is someone from a policing or court agency asking for payment over the phone to clear up a law enforcement matter? Search for the agency’s telephone number and call to verify.
- Are you tempted to lease an apartment online without seeing the leasing agent in person or obtaining a signed lease?
By taking an extra minute to think through these situations, you can avoid the risk of financial loss.
Active Shooter Safety Tips
Public Safety in the City of West Hollywood
With this downloadable booklet, learn about the agencies, programs, and initiatives that make the City of West Hollywood a safe place to live, visit, and work.
Sheriff, Fire, & Security Ambassadors
The City of West Hollywood contracts with the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department for police protection, the Los Angeles County Fire Department for fire protection services, and Block by Block for Security Ambassador services.
Knowing what to do in an emergency or disaster is the key to a quick response and recovery. The City of West Hollywood's Public Safety Department is dedicated to providing you with the tools you need to be better prepared.
Crime Prevention and Personal Safety Tips
Useful safety related resources to better educate those who live, work or play in West Hollywood.
Public Safety Commission
The Public Safety Commission meets the 2nd Monday at 6:30 p.m. Due to the needs of the community, the Public Safety Commission is currently meeting at Plummer Park. Please refer to the posted agenda to confirm the meeting location.
Public Safety Six Month Reports
Learn about the work of the Public Safety Department through these periodic reports presented to City Council.
Community Survey on Public Safety Related Services (Project Report)
The public outreach process extended over a seven-month period between September 2015 and April 2016. The study indicates that the overall state of public safety in West Hollywood as perceived by the community is good or even very good, especially in comparison with other nearby jurisdictions.
Concerns about crime are very low, especially violent crime. At the same time, however, there is increasing concern about the impact of the homeless on the quality of life of other residents. The other major public safety issue of concern is pedestrian and traffic safety. Download Power Point Presentation