Know the law and the risks related to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Being a smart party host or guest should include being sensible about alcoholic drinks. Respect anyone’s choice not to drink. Never put anyone on the defense for not drinking.
NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE
Drinking and driving don’t mix. Remember, you are not the only one in danger when you decide to drink and then drive. You are sharing the road with others. Risks to you include serious injury, higher insurance rates, large legal fees, jail time, and other social and professional setbacks. So think before you drink.
- Don’t drink and drive. Even a small amount of alcohol in your system can affect your driving.
- Don’t let your friends drink and drive. Someone who gets behind the wheel after drinking is in danger of harming himself or others.
- Plan ahead. If you plan to be drinking, decide ahead of time how to get home safely and who will drive.
- Know your safe limit.
- Keep active, don’t just sit down and drink. If you are active you tend to drink less, burn calories, and are more aware of the effects of the alcohol.
- Accept a drink only when you want one. If that doesn’t work, “lose” your drink by setting it down somewhere.
- Don’t be fooled: a drink is a drink and all are the same to a breathalyzer.
- Having a water between alcoholic ones will help keep your blood alcohol content level down, keep you hydrated and lower your calorie intake.
- Have something to eat before consuming alcoholic beverages. Eat high protein foods that will stay in your stomach longer.
- Remember only time will eliminate the alcohol from your body.
- Use alcohol carefully in connection with pharmaceuticals. Ask your physician or pharmacist about any precautions.
Know the Law:
California Vehicle Code sections 23152(a) and 23152(b):
23152(a): It is a misdemeanor to drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
23152(b): It is a misdemeanor to drive with .08% or more of alcohol in your blood.
"Don't Drink and Drive" Campaign:
West Hollywood’s "Don’t Drink & Drive" Campaign during the holiday season distributes “Don’t Drink and Drive” napkins or coasters to restaurants and nightlife establishments to remind patrons to drink responsibly. To volunteer, contact the Public Safety Department at (323) 848-6414.
For more information:
City of West Hollywood Public Safety Department: (323) 848-6414 TTY (323) 848-6496
West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station: (310) 855-8850
MADD, Los Angeles: (310) 215-2905 or http://www.madd.org/local-offices/ca/los-angeles/