Many vehicle burglaries are a crime of opportunity. Theft from an auto is the easiest crime to prevent by simply locking all your car doors and removing all your valuables.
Tips to Avoid Vehicle Burglary:
- Wherever you park, take ALL of your belongings with you.
- Always lock your car.
- Call 911 to report a theft in progress.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Close all windows.
- Avoid parking in alleys.
- Make a copy of your registration and black out the address. Keep the original at home in a safe place.
- Do not leave outgoing or incoming mail in your car where it is visible with your name and home address.
- When entering gated, underground parking areas, check your rearview mirror to make sure that someone doesn’t sneak in behind you.
- Report suspicious people to the Sheriff’s Department (310-855-8850) and report all crimes.
- If you must leave valuables in your car, lock them in your trunk or keep them out of sight. Be aware that someone may be watching as you put a wallet, purse, or cell phone under your seat, in your glove compartment, or in the trunk.
- If you park in your driveway or on the street, install motion sensors near where you park. Motion sensors will trigger a light to come on when it senses activity in the immediate area.
City of West Hollywood Public Safety Department: (323) 848-6414 TTY (323) 848-6496
West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station: (310) 855-8850