The City of West Hollywood has released a detailed report about women in West Hollywood. TheReport on the Status of Women in West Hollywood was published in March 2014 in recognition of Women’s History Month. It is designed to provide important information on the current state of women living in West Hollywood and to inform future City programming and policy decisions.
The Status of Women report is the result of direction from the West Hollywood City Council; it was prepared by the City of West Hollywood’s Social Services Division with a team of research consultants. The report compares women who live in West Hollywood with women who live in Los Angeles County as a whole, and to men who live in West Hollywood. Researchers looked for areas of consistency, and for differences that might point to assets or unmet needs among women in West Hollywood.
Some key report findings include:
- Women in West Hollywood are highly educated — 63 percent have attended some college or have a college degree, with an additional 16 percent having earned a graduate degree.
- In spite of those education levels, women in West Hollywood earned less than half of men in West Hollywood ($32,097 as compared to $68,435); West Hollywood women also earned less than women in Los Angeles County ($34,497).
- Women represent 44 percent of the City’s total population, compared to 51 percent of the population in Los Angeles County.
- Thirty-eight percent of women 65 and older in West Hollywood live alone — more than double the rate of women in Los Angeles County (which is 16 percent) and more than double the rate of men in West Hollywood (which is 18 percent).
- Three percent of women in West Hollywood identify as lesbian.
- West Hollywood women are interested in a diversity of options to create community, and are interested in seeing more women in leadership positions in the City.
The Report on the Status of Women in West Hollywood draws its findings from United States Census data; California and Los Angeles County public health data; Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department data; and data gathered from the extensive 2013 City of West Hollywood Community Study.